So set your symbol level to Some and it shouldn't speak.

If you've changed something in the symbol pronunciation dialog, you might have to reset that. Either figure out what you changed and undo that, or reset everything.
If you want to reset all your symbols, though, there's no reset button, so you'll have to delete %appdata%\nvda\symbols-en.dic, then restart NVDA.

On 3/2/2022 8:31 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
I don’t want it announced when reading a document or e-mail. If I read by letter, it says Bang not exclamation.
*From: *Brian Vogel <mailto:britechguy@...>
*Sent: *02 March 2022 14:59
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Exclamation mark
Serious question:  Are you trying to get it to be entirely silent, or are you looking for something like "bang" to be announced for exclamation mark when moving letter by letter?
Gene is right in that the punctuation/symbols dialog is what's used to control this, but the exact tweaking would depend on precisely what it is you're trying to accomplish.
--
Brian *-*Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044
/Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.//
/        New York Times/, February 8, 2022