Re: experience sharing: Using NVDA's Gestures to Switch the Touchpad

Sharad Koirala

thanks Rowen.

On 3/15/22, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:
hello gene,

I hope this method will allow me to quickly switch the touchpad on and off
without resorting to additional software or complicated steps, and maybe
other people just happen to want to do the same.
Why is it relevant to NVDA?
Because NVDA allows users to map keys, for me it solves a lot of problems,
like mapping an Application key that might not exist on my laptop keyboard.
Of course, using this rare method to be able to switch the touchpad on and
off, I think it's useful to NVDA users, so it's relevant.

Thanks

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:17 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't understand the context of what is being discussed.  Why would
NVDA be able to turn on and off the touch pad?  I see no connection
between that setting and the functions of a screen-reader.

Gene

On 3/14/2022 11:08 AM, Luke Davis wrote:

Rowen Cary wrote:

    If nothing else you will open NVDA's gesture profile, The first
line of the file is: [globalCommands.GlobalCommands]
No it isn't, not always.

Please make sure, if you're trying this, that you do find that line,
and enter your edit below it.

    Please try pressing ctrl+F4 to toggle the on/off state of the
touchpad.
I have tried this on my MSI laptop, which already has a shortcut for
this (FN+F3), and the effect is identical. The touchpad is turned off,
and neither the left or right hard clicks at its bottom corners have
any effect (to answer Brian's question).
Win 10, 21H2.

Next, I tried it where it really matters: on my HP Pavilion, which has
a jumbo touchpad which has always been a pain while typing, and has no
convenient way to disable it on the fly, that I have ever found.
Sadly, on that machine, it has no effect.
Win 10, 1909 (2018 laptop, can't be upgraded past 1909).

Off topic, I want NVDA's input gestures to distinguish between left
and right function keys.
Which key do you mean exactly? The FN key? I was not aware that any
laptop had two of those.
Or the control key? Or something else?

Luke

--