Re: Problem with windows 11 notepad, and browsers

Gene

I don't want there to be any misunderstanding of what I am saying.  I am not saying that the person who started the discussion shouldn't have discussed problems with how Notepad or other programs work in Windows 11 compared with how they work in Windows 10.  I am pointing out kinds of approaches I think are important when working with programs and screen-readers.  As I said, screen-readers work in complex environments.  I am not objecting to people asking about or pointing out problems.  I am saying that where there are problems, unless or until they are resolved, you may be able to efficiently work around them in the meantime.  I've been using read current line in screen-reader searches for a long time.  I don't know if the annoyance will ever be corrected but I can avoid the excess speech problem using Reade current line.

I also see, from time to time, people asking about excessive and repetitive speech when an e-mail message is opened in this or that program.  Opening the message, then when the message has opened fully, issuing the read to end command stops the behavior.  If you do this regularly, it becomes second nature.  You may want until the moment you hear a bit of speech before issuing the command or you may want to try to develop a sense of when enough time has passed that issuing the command will start reading.  You may save a bit of time that way.

Gene

On 3/15/2022 12:32 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

I take that back.  I did see it discussed once in teaching material.  I discussed it in my Internet tutorial, which is out-of-date but which discusses using read current line as I described.  It also points out numerous times where I use logic and inference when working with Internet pages.

Gene

On 3/15/2022 12:14 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Joseph is talking about Notepad in Windows 11.