Re: Clipspeak Interfering with Clipboard and Other Functions

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:23 PM, Gene wrote:
Joseph may have been saying that doing things liked altering the manifest to make an add-on compatible may not do so or may not indefinitely but if the add-on works, by definition, it is compatible at this time.
-
Which, I believe, is precisely the point Joseph was trying to make in this case, and has been making on numerous other occasions with regard to manifest tweaking as a workaround solution.  It definitely has a finite life as a workaround as eventually there will be a break between underlying code and current requirements.

You are correct that, for the time being, there exists a version of Clipspeak that is compatible with NVDA up to 2021.3.3.  It may cease to be compatible with 2022.1.

The issue of abandoned add-ons is, to my mind, becoming more pressing when those have been distributed via the community add-ons page in the past.  I get that no individual may wish to be strapped to a piece of software they developed in perpetuity, but ideally there would be a convention for hand-off to a successor or successors so that abandonment did not occur.

But, at the present time, add-ons are not, and never have been, developed and maintained by NVAccess.  They are the direct result of the efforts of one or more developers who are part of the NVDA user community.  That means that the risk always exists of an add-on "going up in smoke" as backward-compatiblity-breaking NVDA releases roll out and there is no one actively maintaining a specific add-on.  That extends to add-ons as complex and now critical to the user community as NVDA Remote (among select others) is.  This arrangement is an accident of history.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.
     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
         America 2022: Where Everyone Has Rights and No One Has Responsibilities,
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.