Re: Clipspeak Interfering with Clipboard and Other Functions

Gene

I don't know how it was updated.  It may have just been that the manifest was changed.  It may be the same as the version on the NVDA official Add-ons page except for that change.  I don't know if there is any language specification in the program.  It may speak in English regardless of what language your screen-reader is set to but the language being used may have nothing to do with how the add-on works.

If you want to read a description of the add-on before it was updated, you can do so here:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html

The add-on information discusses the language being used by the computer but only in terms of compatibility of short cut keys.  As you will see, how the add-on determines if something is done has nothing to do with language.

Gene

On 3/16/2022 12:57 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Hi Jean:  How resent has this other application been updated?  Again, is this an add on to NVDA?  If so, what version of the language is it written in?  That  might help know whether it is going to be compatible with the current version, and upcoming versions of NVDA.

Dave

On 3/16/2022 1:44 PM, Gene wrote:

If that happens, as I believe I discussed here recently, there is another add-on that has a lot more features that performs this function.  However, before people install it, they should carefully read the discussion of the features on the add-on the add-on's web site.  Some changes, perhaps many, are performed automatically when the add-on becomes active and I don't know if they are reverted if the add-on is disabled or uninstalled.

Others may know.  If they are reverted, the care I am recommending may not matter nearly so much since the changes would be very easily undone, but since I don't know, I think people should be aware of what may be changed.

Gene

On 3/16/2022 12:32 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 01:10 PM, Gene wrote:
Since I've only seen two complaints, I don't have any reason to believe there is a compatibility problem.  Nothing works correctly on all systems. Perhaps it is prone to not work properly on a small number more systems than the previous version, but until I see more complaints, I will remain skeptical that there is a general compatibility problem.
-
And I have to say that I agree with you here, and not just in the context of this add-on.

People really need to understand, and accept, that because they're having an issue when many others aren't it's far more likely to be a problem that lies with their own computing ecosystem, and is idiosyncratic to it, rather than being a global issue.

This particular tweaked version has been "making the rounds" for quite a while now, and there has been no substantial number of reports, as a proportion of those who've used it, that there is a functional compatibility issue.  There have been a few, but a few among many doesn't mean "incompatible" in any meaningful sense of that word.

However, Luke is right that probably sooner, rather than later, there is going to be a "permanent breakage" in compatibility without someone taking this add-on over since the original developer formally stated that they are through with it many months ago.  If no one does step up to that proverbial plate, then the add-on should effectively be considered dead when the "permanent breakage" occurs.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022