Re: Setting up the Humanware NLS EReader via Bluetooth for use with NVDA - Assistance please?

I am going to bend the group rules a bit and discuss Bluetooth connectivity because it's pertinent to several situations at hand and because it's clear that there are misunderstandings of the two kinds of Bluetooth connections and that for any Bluetooth connection one side must be in discovery mode (advertising its existence, much like a WiFi network broadcasts a network name [SSID]) while the other is looking for something that is in discovery mode.

First, and most simply, Bluetooth is a wireless communication protocol that's only meant to cover short distances.  You can have a direct device-to-device Bluetooth connection (very common for things like Bluetooth headsets) or you can have Bluetooth acting very much like a wired connection, in that the various devices connect to a central go-between, typically a computer, and it manages the actual workings of communicating with each device - they do not talk to one another directly.

I would have to imagine that any Braille display or similar would be using a "to computer" connection and it's the operating system that's communicating with it, via Bluetooth, just like it would if you had a wired connection.

NVDA itself, at least from my understanding, does not "talk directly" to Braille displays, but communicates to them via Windows, much like say, Microsoft Word doesn't communicate with your printer, it hands off what is to be printed to Windows and Windows then hands it off to the printer.

In the case of a peripheral, which a Braille Display would be, I have to believe that you would need to put that device itself into discovery mode, then, under Windows 10, open Settings, Devices, Bluetooth and other devices pane, then make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and if it is, activate the Add Bluetooth or other device button.  That causes Windows to search out all Bluetooth devices that are in discovery mode and to list them for adding.

You then pick the device you want to add and, possibly, need to enter a PIN to complete the connection.  If a Bluetooth PIN is used it is most often either 0000 or 1234, but the device manufacturer for the device that's in discovery mode, and that you're trying to connect with, may specify something else.

Once the connection is made, Windows should do pretty much what it does if you connect something by wire, but for Bluetooth, and hunt for and install the Bluetooth drivers for the connected device.  If the device manufacturer has shared these drivers with Microsoft, they'll be part of The Great Microsoft Driver Library in the Cloud and just install.  If they have not, then you will have to install these device drivers from media that should be downloadable from the device manufacturer.  The older the device, and particularly if it is from the pre-Windows-10 era, the more likely it is that there will not be a driver for it in the cloud-based driver library.  There may not even be a driver stated to be compatible for Windows 10 for it.  If that's the case, pick the one for the Windows version that's nearest to Windows 10, which will generally be either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.  Sometimes those drivers work just fine, sometimes they don't.

According to the third-party quotation of the changelog for NVDA 2021.3.X, "NVDA will auto detect the NLS eReader Humanware braille display via Bluetooth as its Bluetooth name is now "NLS eReader Humanware". (#11561)"   This was a bug fix, so you need to make sure you are actually using NVDA 2021.3.4 since that's the most recent release.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022