NVDA 2022.1 and community add-ons: compatibility list update as of March 22, 2022

Hello NVDA community,

First, thank you for your patience as the add-ons community is working hard on making add-ons compatible with just announced NVDA 2022.1 beta 2. The add-ons community understands that there is high uncertainty and anxiety when it comes to whether or not your favorite add-on is ready for the upcoming backwards incompatible release, and several add-on authors did receive your feedback on status of our add-ons (including yours truly). Knowing this, the add-ons community is working around the clock to make sure our add-ons are truly ready for upcoming changes.

As a user and an add-on author, I understand that you would like to see compatibility status of add-ons, and so am I. In the past, a website gathered compatibility status of add-ons hosted on NVDA community add-ons website (there are 92 add-ons registered). I’m delighted to announce that the initial compatibility list for NVDA 2022.1 is available from the following page:

Add-ons and backwards incompatible NVDA releases (nvda-project.org)

As of time of this post (March 22, 2022), of he 92 add-ons registered, 7 (7%) are compatible. There are several add-ons that were queued for distribution on community add-ons website, most of them compatible with NVDA 2022.1 with some testing required due to last minute changes. Just like 2021.1 compatibility list, expect more add-ons to become compatible with 2022.1 in coming days.

A few reminders:

  • NVDA 2022.1 is in beta testing phase. Therefore unless you plan to provide early feedback, please wait for the stable version of 2022.1.
  • The first people to contact regarding add-ons and their compatibility is add-on authors.
  • For best experience, install Add-on Updater 22.03.1 or later BEFORE installing other add-ons. This will let you be notified when add-on updates become available.

IMPORTANT: due to life priorities such as graduate school, I will not be able to update compatibility list in a timely manner, and as a result, Noelia Martinez (author of add-ons such as Read Feeds) has agreed to update this document from time to time.

Special note for Add-on Updater users: if you haven’t, update to 22.03.1 from community add-ons website if you are using older releases, and then enable automatic add-on update checks. This will ensure you will be notified about add-on updates, especially for folks testing beta releases.

Cheers,

Joseph