Strange Issue With Amazon Website And NVDA

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am not certain if this is an NVDA issue at all or if there is some odd setting in Firefox that I have misconfigured so I apologize in advance if this turns out to be totally unrelated to NVDA.  Here's the problem.

A few days ago, when I logged into amazon.com, unlike the past several years and unlike almost everyone else I have referred this to on other blind oriented technical lists, I no longer see a combo box for searching when using Firefox Browser latest update. In the recent past, I would see a combo box for searching, highlight it, choose a department and then fill in a search term and click go for the search.

A few days ago, this combo box disappeared and I now see at the very top of the virtual browse mode window a button that says 'open menu.' When I click on this, I still see no combo box.

When using the Edge Browser--latest edition--I still see the combo box and as was the case in Firefox until recently, I see at the very top of the virtual browse mode window a link that says: 'skip to main content.'

I have been exploring settings in NVDA and Firefox for the past hour and a half )(this writing) and I can't see that there is anything significantly different in the settings for display or text or anything else between Edge and Firefox.

Could this be an issue with the website itself? Is there some obscure setting in Firefox that I am missing? Is NVDA not handling this page correctly as it did in the past?

In particular I would like to ask a sighted person who can scope out the page and see if anything has changed in the past few days or weeks.  Do you see a menu at the top of the page or a skip to main content link?

I asked the people at the Amazon disability line to scope this out and they do not see a combo box on the main page.  But as mentioned above, most other blind people still see the combo box.  This is with both Edge and Firefox.

So I would appreciate any help in solving this issue.

--
Signature: