Re: Strange Issue With Amazon Website And NVDA

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

I do see combo boxes on many other sites--including within
Firefox's settings.

On 3/24/2022 7:33 PM, Gene wrote:
Also, I just realized that you may not see combo boxes in other sites with this problem.  I can't think of sites with combo boxes off the top of my head but if you go to others you know have them, I wonder if you see them.  At any rate, this sounds like a corruption in Firefox.

Gene

On 3/24/2022 5:57 PM, Gene wrote:
I think there is a corruption in your Firefox.  Try using Firefox portable or uninstalling and reinstalling the installed version.  This is an illustration of why I advocate using Firefox Portable.  If an odd problem occurs, no trouble shooting, no time spent uninstalling and reinstalling, just delete the program by deleting the folder containing it, and copy it from a good backup.

I haven't had this specific problem but I did have one that may relate to yours in terms of something being corrupted.
I won't go into details here because it would take a bit to explain, but I had a crashing problem with Firefox.  I figured out and corrected the problem but after one crash, one web page wasn't displaying properly and I couldn't see some content.  I deleted the currently used copy and copied a good backup to the place where the copy I deleted had been.  That solved the problem.

Gene

On 3/24/2022 9:30 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I am not certain if this is an NVDA issue at all or if there is some odd setting in Firefox that I have misconfigured so I apologize in advance if this turns out to be totally unrelated to NVDA.  Here's the problem.

A few days ago, when I logged into amazon.com, unlike the past several years and unlike almost everyone else I have referred this to on other blind oriented technical lists, I no longer see a combo box for searching when using Firefox Browser latest update. In the recent past, I would see a combo box for searching, highlight it, choose a department and then fill in a search term and click go for the search.

A few days ago, this combo box disappeared and I now see at the very top of the virtual browse mode window a button that says 'open menu.' When I click on this, I still see no combo box.

When using the Edge Browser--latest edition--I still see the combo box and as was the case in Firefox until recently, I see at the very top of the virtual browse mode window a link that says: 'skip to main content.'

I have been exploring settings in NVDA and Firefox for the past hour and a half )(this writing) and I can't see that there is anything significantly different in the settings for display or text or anything else between Edge and Firefox.

Could this be an issue with the website itself? Is there some obscure setting in Firefox that I am missing? Is NVDA not handling this page correctly as it did in the past?

In particular I would like to ask a sighted person who can scope out the page and see if anything has changed in the past few days or weeks.  Do you see a menu at the top of the page or a skip to main content link?

I asked the people at the Amazon disability line to scope this out and they do not see a combo box on the main page.  But as mentioned above, most other blind people still see the combo box.  This is with both Edge and Firefox.

So I would appreciate any help in solving this issue.

--
Signature: