Re: Braille, NVDA, and Excel

Quentin Christensen

Hi Christopher,

Firstly congratulations on the new job, I wish you every success with it!

Yes, NVDA works well with Excel 365.  With your braille display, NVDA should show the cell contents, followed by the cell coordinates.  So it will read "Title A1", "Number A2" for instance.

With the cell boundaries you mentioned, did you mean the coordinates (as above) or how the cells fit together?  If you have text in a cell which is wider than the current cell, NVDA will report "cropped" if there is text in the cell to the right (and thus the text is cut off visually), or "overflowing" if there is no text in the cell to the right and so the text from this cell visually flows across into that cell.  This is both read aloud and also displayed after the contents and before the coordinates on the display, eg "Here is too much text for this cell.  Cropped C7"

If you want to brush up your skills on Excel with NVDA, there is the Microsoft Excel with NVDA training material from: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-excel-training-for-nvda-ebook/

Otherwise, if you do get stuck with anything in particular, do shout out.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 5:32 AM Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
Guys,

I just got a new job which I am now doing volunteer, which is awesome,
as I've been out of work for quite some time. But anyway, I digress.

I'm curious to know how well NVDA works in combination with the version
of Excel which comes with an Office 365 anual subscription.
Particularly, I'm interested in how it works with Braille.

For instance, how does NVDA handle showing you on a display the
bounderies of each cell, and telling you the coordinates. I know it will
speak them, but I'm not sure with a display how that works.

Basically, what I'll be doing is, I'll be putting song titles in one
column, then in another column over to the right of that, I'll be
putting the page/number of the song as it locationally appears in our
church hymnal.

then, finally, I'll want to then alphabetically sort the left most
column with the titles, so that each title is in alphabetical order for
easier reference.

I assume with a braille display, this will be easy enough to do, then to

Chris.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager