Re: NVDA beta

Rui Fontes

That will be an impossible task!

Rui Fontes

Às 00:27 de 06/04/2022, Don H escreveu:

I would hope that the NVDA developers do their best to not break addon's
while at the same time keep NVDA moving in the right direction.

On 4/5/2022 5:45 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 06:19 PM, Don H wrote:

    It just seems that more and more of the most recent NVDA updates
    break such things as addon's

-
That perception is actual reality.

Over the last couple of years there has been some major "under the hood"
updating going on in the NVDA core code.  That's been plainly announced,
well ahead of time, along with the fact that these changes will cause
breaks in add-on compatibility if the add-on developers do not keep up.
This is not unique to NVDA and third party add-ons.

We've seen this with NVDA and JAWS over the years as major updates were
occurring in Windows, too.  I can recall (and not just for screen
readers) how many things "broke" in the early days of Windows 10 because
the various software houses essentially did nothing to prepare for that
release ahead of time and played catch up afterward.

We see it, and it's almost impossible to avoid, with web browsing and
screen readers not infrequently as new parts of web coding come into
existence, sometimes with minimal warning.

We are now in the age of everything "as a service" and that means that
something, probably Windows primarily, and its update cadence will be
driving the cadences of lots of other stuff.  But once you get into
something like NVDA and its add-ons, the major updates to NVDA will
dictate the cadence of updates to add-ons if those add-ons are still
supported.

There can be, and almost certainly will be, periods of time where NVDA
itself and its add-ons have relatively long plateau periods where major
updates and backward compatibility breaking will not be occurring.  But
that time is not now, and as far as I can see there are some add-ons
that may very well become orphans and only work up to a given NVDA
version, because their original developers have lost interest and no one
else has picked up the ball to run with it.

And as disconcerting as that may be, I'd certainly not propose that NVDA
stop its ongoing development, some of which involves backward
compatibility breaking releases, because any given add-on might become
an orphan.  NVDA's ongoing viability depends on it continuing to be
worked on as the ecosystem in which it is immersed continues to change.
To do otherwise means that NVDA will cease to exist as a viable screen
reader in the Windows sphere.

Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a
sex object. The difference is that is not */all/* she wants to be.

~ Betty Rollin