Re: NVDA beta

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 07:41 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

NV Access is trying, and so far, accomplishing, to only break compatibility in the first release of each year...

-
But that's new, relatively speaking.  I can't remember when it was I entered the NVDA world, but for several years after I had this was not the case.  Thus, for anyone who's been in the NVDA world for quite a while, there has been a distinct uptick in frequency of backward compatibility breaking releases.

I agree that NVAccess is giving plenty of notice, far more than would be necessary for most add-on developers to be able to prepare the necessary add-on changes, if they so choose.  But that's the point, it's the add-on developers who make this choice.  NVAccess should not be expected to freeze NVDA development, ever, and for any dynamic software there will be occasional backward compatibility breaking releases.

This is one of the reasons for the NVDA Group rule that only supported versions of all software are permitted to be discussed on this group.  It really is imperative in this day and age to keep up-to-date.  Whether any individual accepts that, and follows that practice, doesn't change the core truth of that need.

Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be.

    ~ Betty Rollin