Re: NVDA beta

Rui Fontes

One advantage is the nature of free software...

I have taken care of some add-ons abandonned by the devellopers and I will try to take care of some more... if I have time, and essentially knowledge to that...

Rui Fontes

Às 00:33 de 06/04/2022, Brian Vogel escreveu:

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 07:27 PM, Don H wrote:
I would hope that the NVDA developers do their best to not break addon's while at the same time keep NVDA moving in the right direction.
-
That depends entirely on who created a given add-on, and why, and with what intended audience.

What people need to understand is that it is always possible that an add-on may be abandoned/orphaned, and particularly those whose history is of the "it was created for my personal use and began making the rounds" type.

And there are developers of some very popular add-ons who have never even given a thought to a transition plan whereby the add-on would be handed off to someone else were they to decide to want to walk away from it.

These pieces of software are gifts to the community, but they don't carry an obligation that the person that gifted them must remain dedicated to that add-on until the day they die.  There are occasions, and it's typically not for commercially produced add-ons, where an add-on will be abandoned.

Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be.

    ~ Betty Rollin