locked Re: need help finding basic view in gmail

Edited

Moderator's Note:   Initially I thought I'd not comment on this topic, but have decided I will.

1. This is a question about Gmail, not NVDA, and it is not specific to any screen reader.  That means it is not appropriate to the main NVDA group but is for the Chat Subgroup.  This is a reminder that members need to think about what it is that a given question deals with, and if that's not included in the following brief group description, it should be taken to the Chat Subgroup:

NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is screen reader software.  The central purpose of this group is discussing how to use NVDA.  This includes configuring NVDA's settings or familiarizing oneself with its modes and commands.  Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA, NVDA add-ons, NVDA tutorials and documentation, and configuring synthesizers or Braille displays for use with NVDA are also permitted.

2. Google has been saying, for a very long time, that it intends to phase out the basic HTML view.  They have put an inordinate amount of effort into making the standard view accessible, including creating a comprehensive set of shortcuts for doing so.  Read the writing on the wall and be proactive.  The fact that you may like basic HTML view better is going to be of no help on the day when it disappears.

3. The idea, in general, of "what I like best" being the first and foremost criteria in what one selects to use is just plain horrible when it's clear that something is in the process of going away or is already out of support.  Every computer user in existence, on multiple occasions, has had to let go of favorite things because their respective makers have dropped them.  It's a part of the territory, and there are very distinct dangers in using out-of-support software, and operating systems, web browsers, and email clients are at the top of the "potential dangers" list because of their contant contact with cyberspace [unless you have no internet connection, in which case web browsers and email clients cannot even be used].

This topic is now locked.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed