Re: Speech delay in Excel

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:38 PM, David Goldfield wrote:
Not to mention that he's using an unsupported operating system along with an unsupported version of Excel.
-
Indeed.  And all one needs to do, particularly in regard to Excel, is think about how many patches have been made to Excel and NVDA both as time has marched on and changes have occurred to Excel.  There are fixes that were made for later versions of Excel that very likely rely on patches that occurred to Excel itself, and where something like Excel 2003 would never have received any of those patches.

While I can't (as much as I'd really love to do so) forbid the discussion of Windows 7 here so long as NVDA officially supports running under it, here's a big warning that the very moment that NVDA does a release that no longer runs on Windows 7 that discussions of issues under Windows 7 will stop here.  There seems to be a perception among some that backward compatibility is and should be perpetual - it never has been and it never will be.  There also seems to be a perception that I am being mean or unreasonable for saying (and it's said in the group rules):  "The discussion of software on the NVDA Group is limited to software currently in support.  Depending on the type of software, specific version numbers will change with time.  Users are expected to know what remains in support and what has been dropped, and announcements will be made to this group when new software is released. It should be assumed that, when a new version of software is released, primary discussion will take place on that version, not versions of software which are years old.

Unsupported versions of any software may only be discussed on the Chat Subgroup, not the main NVDA Group. "

But I'm not being unreasonable, it is those that think that any technical support group should be entertaining questions about software that's long out of support and hasn't received a patch in years are.  And very often the issues that are occurring with software that old, in combination with up-to-date screen readers and even Windows cannot ever be solved because they are due to things that will never be fixed.

So, after all of that has been said, if you are someone using Office 2003, then I don't care if you're on the latest version of NVDA or not, the topic belongs in the Chat Subgroup.  Office 2003 has been out of support for over a decade, and all of the programs in it will have issues that are not going to be fixed and that frequently were fixed in subsequent versions.  You are far more likely to fix a range of issues by getting a version of Office that is 2016 or newer, or going to Microsoft 365.  If that's cost prohibitive, although it's not as accessible as Office is overall, there is LibreOffice, which is free, and they have their own accessibility mailing list.

NVDA Chat Subgroup Archive:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/chat/topics

NVDA Chat Subgroup Addresses

To join:  chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To post:  chat@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  chat+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io

This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group messages individually:  chat+single@nvda.groups.io

This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest:  chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  chat+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  chat+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  chat+special@nvda.groups.io