locked Turning off Protected Mode for All files obtained via download in Microsoft Office Programs

1. A friend of mine sendtme a .docx file. When I open it, it's in "protected" mode, where I can't modify it. How do I turn protection mode off on that document, like, where in the ribbon do I go to do so?

2. How do I globally in Preferences turn off that feature, so it won't keep putting documents from various sources into read only mode? I know it can be done, I'm just failing to recall where it's barried.

Chris.