Re: mouse hover

Steve Nutt

I believe that NVDA Enter performs an actual mouse click on the item.

And yes, it does work in Quickbooks, but unlike JAWS, it doesn’t take you to the expanded menu.

So it’s implemented, but not quite so well.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 May 2022 16:30
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] mouse hover

NVDA key enter isn't described in input help.  All NVDA says is NVDA enter.  What does it do that just enter doesn't?

Gene

On 5/3/2022 9:50 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi Jean,

In certain applications like Quickbooks, the Mouse Over thing expands a menu, so you have to use it.

NVDA isn’t good at coping with Mouse Overs, JAWS takes you directly to it, with Control Insert Enter, but you may be able to achieve the same with NVDA Key and Enter.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 02 May 2022 00:13
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] mouse hover

I often find that on web pages, using NVDA, the mouse can't be moved to your current position.  I don't know if other screen-readers allow that.  But even if you could, it would be very cumbersome to use such a way of working in NVDA. 

In JAWS, when you are on such a link, you hear mouse over announced. There is a JAWS command to do the equivalent of hovering the mouse over the link.  You are told something like, page changes at line 11.  You can then use a jump to line command to jump to that line and see what has changed.  You can, as I recall, use a return to your previous position command when you want to go back to where you were.

With NVDA, you would have to hover the mouse, and with no feed back about where the page changed, look through the page to see if you could find where the new material is. 

I almost never miss information I want by not using this feature.  I can't say I don't miss any information but I have never missed the ability.  And in JAWS, I often find that mouse over links add nothing useful, maybe changing the page visually in some way in some place.

Others who use the Internet in different ways may have different opinions but I suspect that this is one of the most unneeded possible features and I suspect that that is why JAWS is the only screen-reader to have it.

Gene

On 5/1/2022 5:40 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

Lately I have come across online pages where I am supposed to let the mouse hover  on a link or message for “moreoptions”.

Can I do the equivilant   of a mouse hover  with nvda and not tare my hair out?

Thanks,

Mont

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.