Naming Conventions in the NVDA Voice Dialogue

Nermin

Hi,

maybe this is something Joseph Lee can shed a light on. Ever since I've had to switch synthesizers in NVDA, and I've been using the software since 2007 or so, I've wondered why "Variant" is variant, and "voice" is voice.

To explain this a bit, the "Voice" combo box will effectively switch the synthesiser language, while "variant" switches the current voice.

So, for consistency, wouldn't it be better to just rename them?

I'd assume that the naming convention came into being when ESpeak gained popularity and Jonathan Duddington was still on the then NVDA list.

Regards,

Nermin