Re: Naming Conventions in the NVDA Voice Dialogue

Hi all,

Since someone did request something from me...

As folks found out, different speech synthesizers organize their voices and variants differently. This made sense back when eSpeak NG was the primary speech synthesizer; this is no longer the case in Windows 10 and later where Windows OneCore is used as default speech synthesizer. Also, remember that some synthesizers combine voice and variatns under the "voice" list.

While I understand the need to change user interface messages to reflect more diverse synthesizer options, we also need to acknowledge how we ended up with what we have. We also need to keep in mind that comparing speech synthesizers is akin to apples to oranges comparison, more so when we think about voice data, subtle differences in pronunciation rules, internal speech engine and model differences, and how speech output parameters (that's what they are actually called in the development circles) are organized and presented both internally and externally. Because this forum had many discussions surrounding specific synthesizers (including licensing and authorship), suffice to say that changing labels for sake of convenience is something that should not be suggested lightly (I hope to use messages like this as teaching moments so we can "take off the mystery mask" surrounding screen reader internals; yes, I'm a fan of a certain South Korean TV show, but won't elaborate further).

Cheers,

Joseph