NVDA Remote crash incident: trust and ethics are important just as technology is, never give out passwords publicly, developer responsibilities

Dear NVDA community:

I give you permission to pass out the following to other community members:

Dear users of NVDA Remote Support add-on:

On the morning of October 10, 2016, a group of users connected via nvdaremote.com experienced a general client crash, with the root of the problem being a series of events that led to NVDA crashing with long strings passed to a particular synthesizer. The event unfolded as follows:

In the evening of October 9, 2016, someone posted a message to a public forum which included giving out his remote client password, with an “invitation” for anyone to connect to his computer. Within moments, several people connected to the poster’s computer, but then the host disconnected. A few moments later, the server admin came in using the published password, changed some configurations and crashed NVDA by letting clients read long strings and making their keyboards unusable. An audio recording was published that provides some live evidence, with people posting on social media advising others to stop using this, labeling this as “unsecure”.

In light of this incident, as a community add-ons representative, I’d like to request that add-on users follow these guidelines:

1.      Never give out NVDA remote session password publicly.

2.      The Remote host must provide the password and this should be done privately.

3.      The Remote client must tell host what he or she is going to do so the host can be aware of what’s going on.

4.      The host should try to inform clients that he or she is disconnecting so clients can disconnect properly.

Also, as an add-on developer, I’d like to propose the following action plan in the future:

1.      Please examine evidence you can find before coming to the conclusion that things are insecure.

2.      Developers should provide responses as soon as possible when evidence becomes available.

The add-on can be found in our NVDA Community Add-ons website. Although there is some things about this add-on that have contributed to this incident, the ultimate root cause has to do with irresponsible user actions.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.