What do they say?
If they don't say F10 through F12, then you've either got some key remapping software on your computer, or in your keyboard.
Some keyboards have an FN lock key (or combination) that changes what the function keys send.

On 5/10/2022 3:41 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thank you Sarah, but this machine is a desktop.  Sorry I failed to mention that.  As such, there is no FN key.
Howard
On 5/9/2022 10:49 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I don't know what kind of system you have, but check to see your fn keys are deactivated.  Consult your favorite search engine as there are a million ways to do things on every different laptop.

Good luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 7:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] time and date key (NVDA plus F12)

For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3.  When I first boot up, the command
F12 tells me the system volume.  After it's been up awhile, it stays silent.  I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help.  At first, it doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a bit. This is all after a system restore, if that matters

Any ideas anyone?  Thanks.

Howard