Re: Punctuation

Sarah k Alawami

Yes and the slash is called a stroke.  Makes sence if you think about it.  It looks like the stroke of a pen. Interesting history of words etc. I love history of words, but then again I am a teacher for what ever that’s worth.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2022 8:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Punctuation

Apparently the "!" being called "bang" goes back to the 1950s and either comic books (which portrayed a speech bubble with ! in it coming out of a gun to signify it being fired, hence 'bang') - or typesetting manuals: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/62918/why-is-the-exclamation-mark-called-a-bang.  I've never heard it used anywhere other than screen readers (not just NVDA).

I can't readily find a reference for the apostrophe being called tick.  In ASCII the grave accent is called the "back tick", and I assume that would have come from the same source.

I assume screen readers picked up those two names from the ascii and other similar references, but also because both are shorter to say than their more common names.  (Or at least more common here in Australia, I'm not sure whether either term is used - outside screen readers - to describe those symbols in other countries?

Fiddlesticks, I used my linguistic nerd quota in In-Process for the month last edition, maybe I can explore this in a future In-Process!

(Fiddlesticks of course from "Fiddle Sticks", the bows used to play violins, from the 15th century "fydylstyks").

Ok I'll stop now :)

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 11:27 PM Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

I’ve often wondered why NVDA calls the apostrophe a tick?

I guess the same reason that it calls an exclamation mark a bang, but it’s curious wording for the apostrophe.

All the best

Steve