NVDA doesn’t honor verbosities settings when selecting text

Luke Robinett

I find that when I hold down shift and use the cursor keys to select text, NVDA doesn’t use the same verbosity settings as when I am just navigating around. For example, I’ve got a snippet of code in front of me now. I have NVDA set only to beep for indents, not announce them. This works as expected when I move about using the arrow keys, but when I hold down shift and use the up and down arrow keys to select text one line at a time, NVDA announces the tab characters. For heavily indented lines of code, it gets tedious to listen to this when I just want to hear the actual content of that line When I’m selecting text. Is there any way to control this?