Re: Man or woman. really strange.

Gene

It could be NVDA announcing this if an emoji is being used.  I checked and NVDA does have the announcement man for an emoji of just a man and woman for an emoji of just a woman.  Since the emoji NVDA  is aware of and will announce is expanded over time in new versions, it may well be that the old version you were using wasn't aware of those emoji.

Also, too expand the topic, you may come across web sites where you hear shapes and information about shapes announced that is very distracting.

I have come across web sites where a shape is used for emphasis, as a bullet would be.  So you may be reading a number of points and hear, right pointing triangle stated repeatedly before a point begins or a number of words, filled right pointing  triangle, then some more words, then the same shape, etc.  Depending on what the page is using, you may hear various shapes announced in this distracting way.

I won't go into how you stop it, because you have to change a setting for any shape you hear and the general method of how you do this is beyond the scope of the discussion.  But if you come across something and you want to stop it, if you ask here, I will tell you or someone else may.

Gene.

On 5/17/2022 6:02 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi Penny,

Yes, that makes sense. People can specify how they would like to be referred to and perhaps that’s what it’s picking up on. Not sure why you’re worried about controversy etc. as I don’t see anything negative in this thread. Maybe you were talking about something else. Cheers

On May 17, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Penny Golden <pengold2@...> wrote:

First off, i was warned, or we all were, that this is off-topic.

So I feel like I really just ought to get off the list, for it was my fault that this got brought up.

I figured it was from NVDA, since that evening I had installed a much newer version of NVDA, and that is when it came up.

I am sure that when people set up those accounts, they are asked gender.  I have no idea what was up there; i just heard the word man or woman.  And I figured it had to do with the fact that I was running a newer version of the NVDA.

Well, I hate to upset the apple cart, and we were warned to keep off this topic.

If you only knew what a law-abidin' citizen I really am. I hate list controversy.

Let's try not to talk about this. someone hates it.

On 5/17/2022 3:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke