Re: NVDA doesn’t honor verbosities settings when selecting text

Carlos Medrano

Hmm, I just opened one of my python files in notepad (I can't select text in Vim with shift+arrow) and not observing that behavior.

Do you have any additional addons that could be causing it to do that? Also, is the setting set to tones only? It may be worth trying another editor just to be sure that it's not an editor-specific problem causing it to do that as well.

- Carlos

Hi Luke,

Are you using an add-on for this functionality?  The regular functionality with NVDA, if you have it set to report paragraph indent in NVDA's document formatting settings, is to report "Left indent zero point five centimetres" (or whatever your measurement unit is set to).

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 2:36 AM Luke Robinett <lukelistservs@...> wrote:
I find that when I hold down shift and use the cursor keys to select text, NVDA doesn’t use the same verbosity settings as when I am just navigating around. For example, I’ve got a snippet of code in front of me now. I have NVDA set only to beep for indents, not announce them. This works as expected when I move about using the arrow keys, but when I hold down shift and use the up and down arrow keys to select text one line at a time, NVDA announces the tab characters. For heavily indented lines of code, it gets tedious to listen to this when I just want to hear the actual content of that line When I’m selecting text. Is there any way to control this?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager