Re: for the third time, filling out a PDF

Gene

I'm not writing as I am to give you a hard time and I hope you don't consider my direct writing to be other than my attempt to make the following points strongly and clearly.

You say you can't move through the form and you say it is done properly.  You don't know if it is done properly.  If you can't move through it, maybe it isn't.

You are assuming that just because a field your screen-reader sees as edit is available, that it can be filled in and is accessible.  Just because a car has a motor, does it run?  What if the car is out of gas or the motor is damaged?

There are uncommon web sites where links aren't properly defined for accessibility and they can't be clicked on by the keyboard.  They look accessible and the screen-reader announces them as links but some links require the mouse to be used.  This appears to be a choice a web designer makes and it isn't the way links function unless the designer specifies this.  That's very fortunate for us.

Things aren't necessarily as the screen-reader indicates in terms of accessibility.  There are some things it doesn't know about and perhaps can't be aware of.

You have gotten another question answered.  Why would people be ignoring this one?  Maybe people don't know the answer.

If you want others to try working with the form to see if they have the same problems and can figure a way around them, if the form is one you don't object to sharing, asking for volunteers may result in people asking to be sent copy.

You are working with browse mode.  As far as I know, in a properly designed PDF document, you should be able to move and edit is though you were working with a web page.

Gene

On 5/17/2022 11:17 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Hi all,
This will be the last time I ask this. I find it hard to believe
nobody on here knows the answer to what seems like a fairly easy
problem to fix, but I've asked this twice since Thursday, and have
gotten nowhere, when every other question on this list including my
other one has had an answer within a couple of hours. Yes I could ask
for sighted help and probably will if I don't get an answer, but this
form was done correctly, unlike lots of PDFs I've seen, so I should be
able to fill it out without sighted help.
I'm using the latest version of NVDA and Adobe Reader. NVDA will see
that edit fields in the PDF exist, but I'm having the following
issues:
1. I cannot tab through them like I would a form on a webpage.
2. Pressing enter when focused on an edit field does not activate
focus mode as it would on a webpage.
3. Manually activating focus mode with control+space works, but does
not appear to actually fill in the forms as would be expected. How
does this work?
Bob