Re: NVDA doesn’t honor verbosities settings when selecting text

Carlos Medrano

Cyrille, I think you're right; this sounds like a bug to me. Mine is set to most; that's probably why I didn't catch it when I tried it. I just set punctuation level to all and observed it announce the tab characters. I guess the bigger question is if it's intended behavior for NVDA to announce other white space characters other than the regular one (ascii code 0x20) with all being the punctuation setting.

Luke, you may be able to change the tab entry in the punctuation/symbols pronunciation dialogue accessible in the NVDA preferences menu from all to character to only announce it if you move the cursor to the tab character. The word tab should filter down the list to only the relevant entry.

- Carlos

On 5/18/2022 5:10 AM, Cyrille via groups.io wrote:
Hi Luke

With symbol level on '"some", I do not hear the beeps, but do not hear "tab" to be reported.
I can totally reproduce the issue with "tab" reported only if I set the symbol level on "all".

You may check NVDA's GitHub if a similar issue has already been reported; and if not, you should describe it in a new issue.

@Quentin:
The option considered here is "Line indentation reporting", not "◦ Paragraph indentation (e.g. hanging indent, first line indent)".

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 09:36 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:
I find that when I hold down shift and use the cursor keys to select text, NVDA doesn’t use the same verbosity settings as when I am just navigating around. For example, I’ve got a snippet of code in front of me now. I have NVDA set only to beep for indents, not announce them. This works as expected when I move about using the arrow keys, but when I hold down shift and use the up and down arrow keys to select text one line at a time, NVDA announces the tab characters. For heavily indented lines of code, it gets tedious to listen to this when I just want to hear the actual content of that line When I’m selecting text. Is there any way to control this?