NVDA and How Buttons Are Announced

Marc Grossman

I am testing a modal dialogue with NVDA/Firefox, Jaws/Edge, and VoiceOver/Safari on a desktop platform. The modal is launched with a form control (button). Screen reader encounters three form controls (buttons) on the modal.

NVDA:
Using TAB and the shortcut key B navigate screen reader focus and announce as Label/Control type, e.g. "Close Button"
Using arrow keys, screen readers announce Control Type/Label, e.g. "Button Close"

Jaws/Edge:
Using TAB, the shortcut key B, and arrow keys all navigate screen reader focus and announce as Label/Control type, e.g. "Close Button"

VoiceOver/Safari:
Using both TAB and VO+arrow keys, the screen reader announces Label/Control Type, e.g. "Close Button"

I understand that this might actually be the expected behaviour. Can anybody point me to resources on the web that confirm this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.