Re: NVDA and How Buttons Are Announced

Marc Grossman

Yes I am a daily screen reader user and am familiar with WCAG. I wholeheartedly agree with both of you that form controls should announce the type of control, the state of the control, and the label on the control. Your references to WCAG guidelines are spot on.

My main question can be boiled down to this. If I navigate with arrow keys to the control, it is announced by NVDA as "Button Close" but If I navigate to the control with the tab key or the letter B, NVDA announces as "Close Button."

The engineer has informed me that it was coded to meet WCAG guidelines and another colleague believes that this is the expected behavior. I do not like to necessarily make comparisons to other assistive tech but in this case I do think it is relevant. Jaws and VoiceOver both announce the control as "Close Button" regardless of how focus is navigated to the control.

Was just wondering if that sounds correct? If so, is there any documentation to inform others on how NVDA handles form controls, specifically buttons.

Thanks