Re: Windows mail with NVDA usable?

Gene

For those using the installed Thunderbird, here is an article about how to transfer your profile.  The article doesn't say this, but I think the profile should be backed up as you would any information you don't want to lose.
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-move-your-thunderbird-profile-email-to-a-new-windows-computer/

While the procedure as written isn't difficult, it is still faster and easier to copy the portable folder and also not spend time installing the program first.

The information in this article looks reliable but I don't have other knowledge of it.  Others may want to comment.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 7:13 AM, Gene wrote:
I should add that Thunderbird has a portable version and that is the version I use.  I use it because I can keep a backup and, if anything goes wrong with the program, I don't have to troubleshoot or reinstall.  All I have to do is to remove the Thunderbird folder and copy the backup folder to the original location.

And If I get a new computer, I don't have to install it.  All I have to do is to copy the Thunderbird folder from my old computer or from a backup on an external drive to the new computer.  I know you can install Thunderbird and then transfer your profile to the new installation and that may easily accomplish the same thing but it is still faster and easier to just copy the program.  And the program may become corrupt, though unlikely, and require reinstallation.  As I said, with the portable version, you just delete a folder and copy the backup folder.

As I said, the portable version has advantages I think are worth considering.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 7:03 AM, Gene wrote:
Since I don't know when you tried it, your feelings might be because the program wasn't as accessible as it has become in the last few years.  There is a Thunderbird add-on that allows you to use first letter navigation in the folder's tree view.  There is an NVDA add-on that allows you to change the order in which headers are shown and which ones are.

Many commands are what you would use in standard Windows e-mail programs, control r to reply, control n for new, for example, and autocomplete for addresses works well.

In short, if you don't know why you didn't like it, I would hope that you try it again.

I don't like to see people pay for an e-mail program unless they have needs that go beyond the typical users.

I've used Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, and Thunderbird.  I liked Outlook Express the most from an accessibility standpoint, but with the improvements in Thunderbird accessibility, I consider both programs to be about equal now.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 5:13 AM, Daniel Sommerfeld wrote:
Hi Rob, Michael and Gene.

As i said, i don't even get to the account setup settings because with NVDA i seem to have a bluescreen. A sighted person could see all the things but that doesn't really help me.

I can not say why, but i am not 100 percent satisfied with Thunderbird. It is just a feeling. No logical reasons.

And Michael, What is becky mail? I've never heard of it before.

Am 19.05.2022 um 11:44 schrieb Robert Doc Wright godfearer:
Describe to us the steps you took to set up an account?

On 5/19/2022 3:21 AM, Daniel Sommerfeld wrote:
Hi Luke.

Well i entered windows mail in the windows search field and it opened but i didn't even manage to set up an account. To me with NVDA it looked like a bluescreen.

Is there a not so expensive way to use outlook? I mean, the pricing is kind of high, because you can only seem to purchase outlook with extras, that i don't need. Is there something like a plane outlook?

Regards

Daniel

Am 19.05.2022 um 10:44 schrieb Luke Davis:
Daniel Sommerfeld wrote:

I have tried Windows mail with NVDA and it seems to me, that it is not usable.

It depends on what you are trying to do with it.
For very basic reading, writing, and forwarding, it works well enough.

Some of its folder actions, selection options, etc., are not so very accessible.

Better to use Thunderbird or Outlook if you can.

Luke

.