Re: how to fix pronouncing abbreviations in NVDA?

Gene

What I do in such cases is to open the default speech dictionary in the following way:
NVDA key n, then open preferences.
up arrow to speech dictionaries and press enter.
Press enter again to open the default dictionary.
Tab to the add button and press the space bar.
Type the abbreviation, all capitals if it is capitalized when you come across it, and then tab to the pronounced as field.
Type what you want said, like ssd
Tab to a field that says anywhere.  I think you will want whole word so the letters are only spoken when found by themselves as the abbreviation.  Down arrow in the field to whole word.  I haven't worked with abbreviations so I may be wrong about using whole word but you can see if the entries work properly.
Tab to and activate the OK button.
Tab to and activate the next OK button.
The dictionary will close and the entry will be made.
Let us know if you have problems.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 4:20 PM, Sue J. Ward wrote:
 Hello. I was wondering whenever NVDA comes across abbreviations it kind of mispronounces them. For example instead of sd, it says South Dakota. I want it to say the letters  sd even if sd is in all caps. Another one is instead of HP, it says horse power. It is quite annoying. If I come across these types of things I have to go back and double check as to what I am reading, I would really like to fix this. How would I do this since I did read something about this in the speech dictionaries, how would I access them since I don't have anything with touch jesters, I use the keyboard for everything. Any help you could send my way would be great. Thank you.