Re: how to fix pronouncing abbreviations in NVDA?

Quentin Christensen

NVDA passes the information on to the synthesizer, as it sees it ("sd" or "SD" in this case), it is up to the synth to work out how to pronounce it and unfortunately they often try to be clever and work out what abbreviations are rather than simply saying what is presented.

Using a different voice or synthesizer might give a different result, but the way to absolutely override it is, as others have indicated, with the speech dictionary.  We posted a walkthrough of creating an entry for exactly this reason in our In-Process blog last year: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-16th-april-2021/#Dictionaries (The steps haven't changed).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 8:15 AM Tyler Spivey via groups.io <tspivey=pcdesk.net@groups.io> wrote:
What synthesizer are you using?