Re: how to fix pronouncing abbreviations in NVDA?

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 06:28 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
NVDA passes the information on to the synthesizer, as it sees it ("sd" or "SD" in this case), it is up to the synth to work out how to pronounce it and unfortunately they often try to be clever and work out what abbreviations are rather than simply saying what is presented.
-
Quentin,

Not to argue with you (as what you say is accurate), but I don't consider it "being clever" for a synth to try to work out what unpronouncable character sequences might mean, and pronounce the meaning, rather than always doing a character by character reading.

To me, any of the 2-character US State abbreviations are more likely to make the most sense when announced as their state names rather than the two characters.  There are, of course, exceptions.

We see the same sort of thing when it comes to numbers.  I'd rather hear fifteen pronounced as such rather than one five.  But there are definitely contexts where huge numbers are in constant use where it's more handy to have them announced digit-by-digit, which can be achieved, but that would be the exception case rather than the rule when handed to something to pronounce.

And, of course, context always matters.  In the case of numbers, US ZIP Codes as well as Social Security Numbers are never pronounced by human readers as a numeric value, but as a digit sequence.

Synth writers are trying to apply certain rules about what to pronounce how, and when, based on how it's generally done by most speakers.  Mistakes are, of course, inevitable, and that's the beauty of dictionaries to be able to handle these mistakes on a case-by-case or, in the case of regular expressions, class-by-class, basis.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed