Re: for the third time, filling out a PDF

Carlos Medrano

I think it still happens in the foreground, but Adobe Reader allows the parent window to be focused (where the document content appears), but the dialogue showing progress is in the middle of the screen. The only way to get to it is by moving the mouse to it as far as I know. The parent window isn't frozen; you can do things like hit f6 to jump around it and stuff. NVDA just says `unknown` when you change focus to the reading area when it's being processed.

You can test this by enabling mouse tracking; it may be helpful to enable the tones feature describing the position of the pointer to help with finding location. Moving it to the left outside the progress dialogue and clicking changes the focus from the dialogue, and moving it back into the dialogue to click in it changes the OS focus back to it so you can find the cancel button with the keyboard.

This is easier to test with a really large pdf file; I used the Brother MFC-L9570CDW user guide [0], which is over 700 pages.

- Carlos

[0] https://download.brother.com/welcome/doc100694/mfcl9570cdw_use_oug.pdf

On 5/20/2022 6:50 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 07:12 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Are you saying that "preparation delay" no longer happens, but that it is effectively happening in the background?
-
The way I'd phrase it is that the preparation is no longer done in the foreground, keeping you from accessing the document until that prep is complete.  This, of course, involves a wait.

Now it seems that it is being done asynchronously, with no dialog at all, where the user has access (as in can interact with - but not in any useful manner) with the document prior to it having been prepped such that the screen reader has a clue about what's what.  That's way more unhelpful than "the old way."

I've never dealt with fillable PDF using other than Tracker Software's PDF XChange Viewer,  which is nowhere near to fully accessible to a screen reader user, or Adobe Reader (in various versions).  When the document to which Bob gave the link opened in Vivaldi (another Chromium based browser) I was not able to interact with it with a screen reader in any meaningful way, as it remained silent as fields were traversed.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed