NVDA and Tables in Microsoft Word

Sanjog Kumawat

Hello,

I am facing some issues with tables in Microsoft Word and NVDA. Following is the detailed explanation:

Issue Description

When UI automation is on, NVDA does not recognize tables in Microsoft Word, especially in browse mode. As a result, I cannot use Easy Table Navigator addon to navigate the table.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Open Microsoft Word document which has tables.
  2. Turn on NVDA with UI automation for Microsoft Word documents. One can set UI automation to anything except ‘Default’.
  3. Try reading and navigating the table in Word in browse mode of NVDA.

Expected Result

NVDA should recognize tables in both focus as well as browse modes, and they should be navigable using Easy Table Navigator addon.

Actual Result

NVDA does not recognize tables in word documents when UI automation is turned on, especially in browse mode.

Testing Environment

OS: Windows 11 Home Edition

Office Version: Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise (latest version)

Screen reader: NVDA 2022.1 RC2

Remarks

The same issue can be reproduced with NVDA 2021.3 and later. I use UI automation as I need to read and write STEM content.

However, NVDA recognizes tables in the focus mode even when UI automation is turned on and set as ‘Always’ in case of 2022.1 RC2. But in that case, I am unable to use Easy Table Navigator addon to navigate the table, and it is very hard to use Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys for a long time.

With Best Regards,

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support [Asia & Africa].

Contact us: +919284028466

Alternate Helpline number: +919650211575

[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]

Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...

Benetech

480 S. California Ave., Suite 201,

Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609, USA.

Bookshare Helpline - Asia & Africa

Contact us: +919650211575

Alternate Helpline number: +919284028466

Website: www.bookshare.org