Re: Whether or not recommending new NVDA user to set Capslock as NVDA key

William

I do programming as well, many variables and function names include both upper case and lower case.

and many of my passwords used in login in include upper and lower case.

So personally I do not use Capslock as NVDA key.

But for new NVDA users, I will try to explain to them the possible benefits and problems of setting Capslock as NVDA key and let them choose.

But many of them are newly blind people, and they do not have the knowledge to decide on themselves on whether they should set Capslock as NVDA key or not.

Carlos Medrano 於 24/5/2022 01:55 寫道:

Hmm. I usually tell people to try it both ways. Keep in mind that I'm considering this from the perspective of having key echo turned off and being really aggravated to find out that I've been coding for the last 5 to 10 minutes in upper case. Most programming languages are case sensitive, and depending on the programming style used, it's rare for me to write anything in upper case.

Having Capslock used as a modifier by NVDA makes it much harder for me to accidentally enable it in this particular case.

Hope this is helpful.

On 5/23/2022 12:38 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Does JAWS have this option? The only reason I ask is because JAWS was
the first screen reader I used, and this was not the modifier.
Therefore, I've found it quite strange to use that key, even though
NVDA has had it as an option ever since I've been using it. It's also
why I wasn't a fan of the revamped Narrator when it came out, because
that was its only modifier. That being said, it's really user
preference as has been stated before.

On 5/23/22, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Hi

I always set Caps Lock as an NVDA modifier Because as a touch typist, it is
more convenient to have a modifier key on each side of the keyboard to
facilitate command entry.   For the same reason, I always get an external
keyboard with 2 Windows keys.

I rarely type in all capitals so the double press of the Caps Lock to engage
capital input is not an issue as using the shift key is not difficult.

Cheers

                 Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows