From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of William
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 12:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Whether or not recommending new NVDA user to set Capslock as NVDA key

I do programming as well, many variables and function names include both
upper case and lower case.

and many of my passwords used in login in include upper and lower case.

So personally I do not use Capslock as NVDA key.

But for new NVDA users, I will try to explain to them the possible
benefits and problems of setting Capslock as NVDA key and let them choose.

But many of them are newly blind people, and they do not have the
knowledge to decide on themselves on whether they should set Capslock as
NVDA key or not.

Carlos Medrano 於 24/5/2022 01:55 寫道:
Hmm. I usually tell people to try it both ways. Keep in mind that I'm
considering this from the perspective of having key echo turned off
and being really aggravated to find out that I've been coding for the
last 5 to 10 minutes in upper case. Most programming languages are
case sensitive, and depending on the programming style used, it's rare
for me to write anything in upper case.

Having Capslock used as a modifier by NVDA makes it much harder for me
to accidentally enable it in this particular case.

Hope this is helpful.

On 5/23/2022 12:38 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Does JAWS have this option? The only reason I ask is because JAWS was
the first screen reader I used, and this was not the modifier.
Therefore, I've found it quite strange to use that key, even though
NVDA has had it as an option ever since I've been using it. It's also
why I wasn't a fan of the revamped Narrator when it came out, because
that was its only modifier. That being said, it's really user
preference as has been stated before.

On 5/23/22, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Hi

I always set Caps Lock as an NVDA modifier Because as a touch
typist, it is
more convenient to have a modifier key on each side of the keyboard to
facilitate command entry. For the same reason, I always get an
external
keyboard with 2 Windows keys.

I rarely type in all capitals so the double press of the Caps Lock
to engage
capital input is not an issue as using the shift key is not difficult.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows