Re: Editing an NVDA Add-On Manifest file as a Temporary Workaround #adminnotice

Héctor Javier Benítez Corredera

Hello.

Cricricri is only valid for installed plugins.

I plan to be able to choose one or more of a non-installed add-on and we can modify the manifest without unzipping the add-on and thus save steps.

But at the moment I have a lot of work and for the moment I have not started with it.

I hope that this option will be there when the NVDA 2023 ruckus comes back.

Regards.

El 25/05/2022 a las 5:25, William escribió:

Hello, can your addon work with not installed addon?

If not is there any instruction on how to change the last tested date of a non-installed .nvda-addon file?

Thanks.

Héctor Javier Benítez Corredera 於 24/5/2022 14:58 寫道:

Good morning, last year I created a small add-on to modify the manifests in a simple way.

This add-on has english translation and below I leave the translated manual.

This is the repository:

https://github.com/hxebolax/cricricri-para-NVDA

And from here you can download the latest version:

https://nvda.es/files/get.php?file=cricricri

As colleagues say changing the manifest is something that does not ensure its operation if the add-on requires internal changes in the code but in most cases if it will work to continue using the add-ons.

If I recommend to be attentive to the updates and to update the add-on even if it works with the changed manifest because the updates can bring changes in the code for a better performance.

Next I leave the manual of the add-on that is very simple and we will be able to change in a single blow all the manifests of our installed add-ons that we have chosen and in a simple way.

Manual of cricricri for NVDA
Small add-on that will help us to change the date of the manifests.
Now according to the latest NVDA policy and until further changes, every year in the first version of NVDA programmers will have to change the version to match their manifest to the NVDA version.
There will be programmers who will do it immediately, others who will take some time and others who simply won't do it due to add-on abandonment or any other reason.
In this last case we will have to make the change of the lastTestedNVDAVersion property by hand and if we have many plugins we will have to waste time, besides it is not a task for all users since there are many levels of users.
Also if we want to test the betas and RCs we will have to change this parameter in the manifests otherwise we will not be able to have the add-on installed.
Well cricricri helps us in this task doing the process for us and quickly.
Using cricricri
Cricricri can be launched from the menu Tools / Date changer for manifests or add a shortcut in Preferences / Input gestures and look for the category cricricri.
Once opened the window is simple we will have a list with our plugins and their version in the manifest.
We will be able to choose the ones we want.
If we tab we have two buttons, select all or deselect all, little to say this will act on the list of plugins.
If we tab we will fall in three combo boxes:
-
Select major version: This combo box has to match the date of the version that NVDA is going to have.
-
Select Minor version: Here it is enough to leave it in 1, however I have put the four annual versions in case there are changes (anything can happen).
-
Select a revision: In this combo box leaving it at 0 is enough, however I have put up to 5 also just in case.
If we tab we will fall in the button Apply changes to the manifests which will begin the process of modifying the manifests to those complements that we have selected in the list.
If we tab again we will click on the Close button which will close the window without doing any action.
Shortcut keys
- Alt+L: It takes us quickly to the add-ins list.
- Alt+S: Selects all the add-ons.
- Alt+D: It deselects all the plug-ins that are marked.
- Alt+A: It will start the modification of the manifests of those plug-ins that we have selected.
- Alt+C or Escape: It will close the window without making any action.
Author's comments
Well NVDA is a reader in constant evolution for what many times there are complements that remain in the way for lack of development and for lack of adapting them to the changes that NVDA in its evolution brings.
This means that changing the date in the manifests solves a momentary problem to be able to continue using those add-ons that are not updated or that the developer is slow to update them. But there will be add-ons that not only serves to change the manifest and need internal changes to adapt to new versions, in that case the add-on will break and only remains to contact the author of the add-on.
I advise you to update the plugins that come out with the changes in the manifests even if we have changed the date with cricricri because it is possible that these plugins bring apart from the adaptation of the manifest other modifications that the developer has made.
I am not responsible if something is broken by changing the manifests because there are hundreds of plugins and there may be some exceptions not contemplated by me.
The use of this add-on and its results is solely under the responsibility of the end user.
Translators and contributors:
- French: Rémy Ruiz
- English: Alberto Buffolino
- Turkish: : umut korkmaz
Change log.
Version 0.2.1.
-
Fixed a security bug in secure screens.
-
Fixed a problem with reloading add-ons in NVDA.
-
Added English language.

Regards
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

El 23/05/2022 a las 22:46, Brian Vogel escribió:

Editing an NVDA Add-On Manifest file as a Temporary Workaround

Moderator's Note:
  This post is about exactly what it says, a temporary workaround.  This is NOT the way to truly fix add-on compatibility issues in many cases, but it will work as a temporary workaround for some in a pinch. You use these instructions completely at your own risk.

Note Well:  This will NOT always work when there is a backward compatibility breaking release of NVDA because, sometimes, add-on code must be changed.  But it sometimes works if nothing more than testing and certification is needed for a given add-on, and that’s a bit behind the actual NVDA release.  Also, the %APPDATA% folder is normally hidden, so if your machine objects to your trying to navigate there, you will have to take the steps to show hidden files and folders on your machine.

Your NVDA Add-Ons are found in the following folder:

%APPDATA%\nvda\addons

and you can type (or cut and paste) the exact path shown above into the Address combo box in File Explorer, and after hitting Enter that’s where you’ll be.  A list of folders corresponding to each of the add-ons you have installed will be in the file list.  Locate the add-on for which you wish to edit the manifest file and open its folder.

In the folder you will find a file with the name manifest.ini.  It is a plain text file, so can be opened for editing with any plain text editor of your choosing.  I use Notepad, but any text editor will do.

Once you have the file open for editing, search for the line that starts with:  lastTestedNVDAVersion =

You will be substituting the current NVDA version number for whatever is currently shown after the equal sign.  It is critical that there be a space after the ‘n’ in “version” as well as after the equal sign itself.  The NVDA version goes after that space after the equal sign.  If you check out the line character by character after the ‘n’ in “version” as you found it, you’ll encounter those spaces.  Just make sure that the equal sign has a space before it, and after it.

This will trick NVDA into believing that the add-on has been tested up to and including the current NVDA version number.

If an add-on crashes or otherwise misbehaves after using this workaround, then work on its code will be required.

If you use this workaround, and become aware that a version of your add-on that has actually been tested with the latest version of NVDA has become available, definitely take the time to install the real version.  Your doctored manifest.ini file will end up being overwritten as part of installing “the real thing.”

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed