Re: NVDA reporting blank

Quentin Christensen

It could also be argued that sighted users don't see anything for whitespace (either spaces, tabs, newlines, etc) (ok Word with non-printable characters displayed is an exception).

To the OP, In any case, if you can think of a good workaround and use case, then feel free to create an issue.  As Gene noted, you don't generally want spaces between words read out when just reading regular text, and depending on how you navigate, they ARE reported now.  Whether that fits what you need, will depend on.... what you need, and what you are doing.

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 2:09 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Also, if I move by character with the left and right arrows and there are spaces on a line, I hear space as I move and if there are words and spaces, I hear the words spelled as I move and space spoken between words.  When I up and down arrow among lines with spaces and nothing else, I hear blank.  All this makes sense.  You don't want to hear space spoken when you are reading lines.  You do want to hear space spoken when you are moving by character through a line.

Gene

On 5/26/2022 10:32 PM, Gene wrote:
It sounds to me as though you aren't reporting when it says space and blank with enough detail.  If I have a blank line in Notepad, I hear blank.  When I put spaces on the line and nothing else, it still says blank.  But if I want to check to see if there are any spaces on the line and I issue the say current line command twice quickly, the number of spaces are spoken on the line and blank isn't.

That makes sense since if it announced space when it saw spaces in a line when not spelling the line, you would hear space announced during ordinary reading between every word.

Gene

On 5/26/2022 9:43 PM, William wrote:

Hi Quentin

Hmm, I am just wondering to my understand, blank is nothing, but if there is spaces, and it says blank, I may be confused.

Quentin Christensen 於 27/5/2022 10:13 寫道:

What is the context and would you rather it read?

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello all,

When there is a empty line, nvda will report "blank."

But, if the line contain only spaces, say " " nvda will say "space blank."

I wanna understand why nvda still regard it as blank when there are spaces?

Thanks,

William.

--
Quentin Christensen