Re: NVDA reporting blank

Quentin Christensen

That is likely because the text on that line is all symbols which are set to a higher punctuation level than you currently have NVDA set to - so they aren't read..  There is a pull request designed to address this kind of thing here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/13483

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 2:25 PM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Group,

I have experienced the following issue with Blank lines and symbols. When I receive a message from audible informing me of books or things I might be interested in, I usually get a first line like 'Audible an Amazon company. Then I press the down arrow key 5 times and hear absolutely nothing. I do not hear blank--but nothing is spoken. When I hit the sixth line, then speech resumes. Sighted people tell me there are strange characters on those 5 lines--some kind of ASCII art for appearance sake.

I wonder if this is what some people are experiencing.

On 5/26/2022 11:32 PM, Gene wrote:
It sounds to me as though you aren't reporting when it says space and blank with enough detail.  If I have a blank line in Notepad, I hear blank.  When I put spaces on the line and nothing else, it still says blank.  But if I want to check to see if there are any spaces on the line and I issue the say current line command twice quickly, the number of spaces are spoken on the line and blank isn't.

That makes sense since if it announced space when it saw spaces in a line when not spelling the line, you would hear space announced during ordinary reading between every word.

Gene

On 5/26/2022 9:43 PM, William wrote:

Hi Quentin

Hmm, I am just wondering to my understand, blank is nothing, but if there is spaces, and it says blank, I may be confused.

Quentin Christensen 於 27/5/2022 10:13 寫道:

What is the context and would you rather it read?

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello all,

When there is a empty line, nvda will report "blank."

But, if the line contain only spaces, say " " nvda will say "space blank."

I wanna understand why nvda still regard it as blank when there are spaces?

Thanks,

William.

--
Quentin Christensen