Re: NVDA reporting blank

Gene

I can't help further unless what you are describing is stated very clearly.  When do you hear space blank?  What, exactly, are you doing when you hear it?  You write as though you hear both space and blank spoken when you take the same action.  For example, when you move by character, you hear space blank spoken when you move.  I'm not saying that is what happens, but I don't know what you are describing.  Is that what you are saying and if so, what is the action that causes the behavior?

Gene

On 5/27/2022 1:15 AM, William wrote:

I have a blank line in Notepad, I hear blank.  When I put spaces on the line and nothing else, it still says blank.  But if I want to check to see if there are any spaces on the line and I issue the say current line command twice quickly, the > number of spaces are spoken on the line and blank isn't.

If it is in Notepad++, it will say space blank.

> You don't want to hear space spoken when you are reading lines.

Sometimes, I am editing a file which was given by a sighted person, and I see that there are lines of spaces but it says blank, so at the first glance, I am confused. But I totally agree that it is like sighted people do not see spaces, so line with only spaces can be regarded as blank.

Gene 於 27/5/2022 11:32 寫道:
It sounds to me as though you aren't reporting when it says space and blank with enough detail.  If I have a blank line in Notepad, I hear blank.  When I put spaces on the line and nothing else, it still says blank.  But if I want to check to see if there are any spaces on the line and I issue the say current line command twice quickly, the number of spaces are spoken on the line and blank isn't.

That makes sense since if it announced space when it saw spaces in a line when not spelling the line, you would hear space announced during ordinary reading between every word.

Gene

On 5/26/2022 9:43 PM, William wrote:

Hi Quentin

Hmm, I am just wondering to my understand, blank is nothing, but if there is spaces, and it says blank, I may be confused.

Quentin Christensen 於 27/5/2022 10:13 寫道:

What is the context and would you rather it read?

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello all,

When there is a empty line, nvda will report "blank."

But, if the line contain only spaces, say " " nvda will say "space blank."

I wanna understand why nvda still regard it as blank when there are spaces?

Thanks,

William.

--
Quentin Christensen