Re: NVDA Malfunctions In Read-Only Text Boxes In Google Chrome When In Focus Mode

Sarah k Alawami

I can reproduce this in regular text edit boxes. I was trying to search  for something n trail head and I typed in “quote” and heard “q” and that’s about it. I could not arrow, I could not read by line. Nothing. I tried the menu trick but that didn’t work.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2022 4:44 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Malfunctions In Read-Only Text Boxes In Google Chrome When In Focus Mode

In Google Chrome running on Windows 10 Home Edition, NVDA only announces the first character of whatever text is present when in focus mode and using the arrow keys to navigate by character inside read-only text boxes. For example, if the text box contains the word “Hello,” pressing the left or right arrow keys just results in NVDA saying “H.”

Similar behavior occurs in Microsoft Edge except NVDA says the word “blank” instead of the first character in the text box. This suggests it may be a broader issue with Chromium browsers. In Firefox, NVDA functions normally in read-only text boxes.

I’ve also opened a GitHub ticket for this issue which can be found here:

I searched existing closed and open issues prior to opening a new one and didn’t find a previous report of this issue. Please refer to my bug report for more details and background.

Thanks,

Luke