Re: NVDA reporting blank

William

Hi all,
Sorry I thought my mind was stuck yesterday. Please ignore all the conversations yesterday.
Let me restate my concern.
-----
First of all, lets type a few lines into something like notepad
'''
Hello, this is the new worl.
Hi, this is the second line.

'''
While I am typing those lines, I mistakenly typed some spaces into the third line, which nvda says blank.
Now, I move my edit cursor up two line to do proof reading by pressing up arrows.
Oh I found that the word 'worl' is missing a 'd' so I move the cursor to the end, before the dot, add a 'd.'
Then I keep proof reading and find that the second line is perfect.
Then I press down arrow to move to the third line.
As nvda default to not reading indentations, I assume that the line is a blank line, because I heard nvda says blank.
Then I keep typing the third line.
'''
Hello, this is the new world.
Hi, this is the second line.
     Oh this is the third line.
'''
So the problem comes, I have typed those words after those mistakenly typed spaces.
I know that for blind people who use braille display will immediately pick up those spaces because they are not relying mainly on speech of nvda. Even though nvda says the line is blank, they can still determine that the line is a line containing spaces by touching braille display.
But for people like me, who do not use braille display, I am mainly relying on the audio information provided by nvda. So if I hear blank, I assumed that it is really blank and has nothing, not even spaces.
But refer to the above situation, I assumed that it is a blank line without anything, and start typing on the third line.
But in fact, it is not really a blank line, so what I have typed is after those spaces.

This is the problem that I have came across.

Thanks,
William

Gene 於 27/5/2022 19:53 寫道:

Its good you found out.

Gene

On 5/27/2022 6:22 AM, William wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Sorry, I found out the reason.
Because I have set nvda to report indentation, so my nvda will report space blank if the line is containing one space.

Gene 於 27/5/2022 18:55 寫道:
I can't help further unless what you are describing is stated very clearly.  When do you hear space blank?  What, exactly, are you doing when you hear it?  You write as though you hear both space and blank spoken when you take the same action.  For example, when you move by character, you hear space blank spoken when you move.  I'm not saying that is what happens, but I don't know what you are describing.  Is that what you are saying and if so, what is the action that causes the behavior?

Gene

On 5/27/2022 1:15 AM, William wrote:

I have a blank line in Notepad, I hear blank.  When I put spaces on the line and nothing else, it still says blank.  But if I want to check to see if there are any spaces on the line and I issue the say current line command twice quickly, the > number of spaces are spoken on the line and blank isn't.

If it is in Notepad++, it will say space blank.

> You don't want to hear space spoken when you are reading lines.

Sometimes, I am editing a file which was given by a sighted person, and I see that there are lines of spaces but it says blank, so at the first glance, I am confused. But I totally agree that it is like sighted people do not see spaces, so line with only spaces can be regarded as blank.

Gene 於 27/5/2022 11:32 寫道:
It sounds to me as though you aren't reporting when it says space and blank with enough detail.  If I have a blank line in Notepad, I hear blank.  When I put spaces on the line and nothing else, it still says blank.  But if I want to check to see if there are any spaces on the line and I issue the say current line command twice quickly, the number of spaces are spoken on the line and blank isn't.

That makes sense since if it announced space when it saw spaces in a line when not spelling the line, you would hear space announced during ordinary reading between every word.

Gene

On 5/26/2022 9:43 PM, William wrote:

Hi Quentin

Hmm, I am just wondering to my understand, blank is nothing, but if there is spaces, and it says blank, I may be confused.

Quentin Christensen 於 27/5/2022 10:13 寫道:

What is the context and would you rather it read?

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello all,

When there is a empty line, nvda will report "blank."

But, if the line contain only spaces, say " " nvda will say "space blank."

I wanna understand why nvda still regard it as blank when there are spaces?

Thanks,

William.

--
Quentin Christensen