Re: NVDA Malfunctions In Read-Only Text Boxes In Google Chrome When In Focus Mode

Sarah k Alawami

However in focus mode if you curser through the field you should be able to read in it.  I’ll have to check the next time I publish a youtube video, as that has a read only link. I was going to show a page to a we transfer file  I had already uploaded to see if we could get it to brake but sadly I cannot.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2022 7:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Malfunctions In Read-Only Text Boxes In Google Chrome When In Focus Mode

I'm not sure what you are working with.  It appears to be some sort of source code.  When I go to the page, I hear something like welcome to and then the name of an editor.

However, it appears to me that NVDA is working as expected.  A read only edit field is read only, you can't write in it.  Focus mode doesn't let you move in a web page unless you are in a field that allows movement, such as an edit field that allows you to write when in focus mode.  When in structures like combo boxes, you can move as well or in a list of radio buttons.  But the structure on the actual web page must allow you to move and I would think that by definition, a read only edit field wouldn't.  There is no cursor provided in the underlying page for a read only field, I would think.

Gene

On 5/28/2022 9:27 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:

Hi Gene. If you check out the issue page I linked to, I provide steps for how to reproduce the issue. Let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

On May 27, 2022, at 5:01 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 Can you provide a link to a page with a read only edit field?  I don't recall sites that have them.  I probably just read the content and don't pay attention much if the field says read only.  I would ordinarily read text where I am not writing in browse mode.

I just tried the Google search field and I had no problem but that isn't a read only edit field.

Gene

On 5/27/2022 6:44 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:

In Google Chrome running on Windows 10 Home Edition, NVDA only announces the first character of whatever text is present when in focus mode and using the arrow keys to navigate by character inside read-only text boxes. For example, if the text box contains the word “Hello,” pressing the left or right arrow keys just results in NVDA saying “H.”

Similar behavior occurs in Microsoft Edge except NVDA says the word “blank” instead of the first character in the text box. This suggests it may be a broader issue with Chromium browsers. In Firefox, NVDA functions normally in read-only text boxes.

I’ve also opened a GitHub ticket for this issue which can be found here:

I searched existing closed and open issues prior to opening a new one and didn’t find a previous report of this issue. Please refer to my bug report for more details and background.

Thanks,

Luke