Re: NVDA failed to install

Gene

You were using the talking installer at that time.  That is running as though it were a portable version of NVDA.  When UAC comes up, portable NVDA won't read the message.  It may say something like secure desktop.  Answer y because according to your description, the UAC prompt has come up.

Gene

On 6/1/2022 2:02 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I didn't hear anything about UAC nor a yes or no question.  Maybe an alt y at the time of lockup will do it.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks.
Howard

On 6/1/2022 1:48 PM, Gene wrote:
Try answering yes when UAC comes up.  Escape only closes UAC and doesn't allow the action it is asking about.  Alt y when the UAC prompt comes up and you want to answer yes.  Escape or alt n when you want to answer no.

I think it is a very bad idea to disable a security feature such as UAC when it isn't necessary.

Gene

On 6/1/2022 1:36 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Starting to use a computer that has been out of service for two or three years.

Started by removing the NVDA that was on there; might have been version 19.2.  Now tried to install the latest; 22.1.  Get to the point of "continue button and it says "secure desktop" and locks up.  I press escape and it says "NVDA failed".

I tried to find where I could turn off that "secure desktop" But I couldn't find it.  Now I don't have NVDA on there and I have to use a portable version on a USB thumb drive.

Ideas anyone?  Thanks.
Howard

.