Re: NVDA failed to install

Gene

Yes.  I'm talking about doing that and typing in the windows start search menu, which is where you will be

I'm suggesting you do what I suggest first.  You don't know if the computer isn't downloading updates.  If you check, you will know.  I'm not saying you shouldn't do other things if there is a problem but you don't know yet.

You are showing the old version of Windows because the computer hasn't finished updating itself.  That doesn't mean there is anything wrong.  You said the computer hasn't been used for a number of years.

Gene

On 6/1/2022 4:28 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
OK Gene, when you say start menu, are you refering to what happens when I press the windows key and get a search box?  I think that's what folks are calling the start menu.

I've got a few things to try right now; so I'm fixed for a while. I'm using the media creation tool to make an thunb drive update media.  When it's done, I'll take it downstairs and see if it updates the computer.

Howard

On 6/1/2022 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:
But if it hasn't been used for years, maybe there is something wrong. Have you checked updates to see if any are shown to be installed?

Open the start menu, type update and press enter.  Let the information read.  If you don't hear anything about updates, let us know.

Gene

On 6/1/2022 3:51 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thank you, yes.  This was a computer in my wife's play room which she seldom used; not for two or three years.  I will look at your instructions and see which way is easiest.  And hopefully I can get it done.

Howard

On 6/1/2022 3:11 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
If you are still all the way back on Windows 10 Version 1803 then Windows Update has been broken on your machine for a very, very long time indeed.

I suggest you immediately follow these instructions, which based on what downloads now will get you to Windows 10 Version 21H2, which is the latest:
*/Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file/* <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK>
or, if you prefer, go to the Windows 10 Download Page <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True>, and trigger the Update Assistant using the Update Now button.

Something needs to be done, pronto, to fix your instance of Windows 10 and get it back on track as far as feature updates go. Version 1803 has been out of support for quite a while now.

*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them./*

        ~ Joshua Liebman