Re: NVDA failed to install

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 07:10 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Since you don't seem to be aware of this: when Windows needs higher security permissions than your user has, it brings up a UAC (User Account Control) prompt. That prompt runs as the system administrative user. It's what NVDA calls a "secure screen".
-
Luke,

The following is hair-splitting, but I think it's important for users to understand exactly what's going on.  The vast majority of us who have a single user on a given machine have one that has administrative privilege.  But even if you do, things that actually require that privilege to be active will trigger UAC, because even accounts that have admin privilege are expected to grant its use consciously in more recent versions of Windows.  At one time, that wasn't the case, and if you did something that required admin privilege and were using an account that had admin privilege, it would just run.

Much of the reason for UAC is the way malware of various forms work, particularly as far as trying to install something.  It is possible to accidentally kick off a malware install you had no intention of actually doing, and when UAC prompts and you don't even recognize the thing it's prompting for, you just refuse to allow the changes to be made to your machine.  I once, a long time ago, had UAC save my bacon in precisely that way, and am thankful for it, as the "trouble" of having to confirm I wish to allow changes to be made to my machine by an installer I kicked off is just minimal.

You are correct, though, that if you happen to be running as a standard user, once UAC gets involved you will have to present credentials for another account that has administrative privilege before you can have any installer proceed.  And I use standard user accounts specifically to make it well-nigh impossible for users who have them to install anything or change any settings that are not user associated.

        ~ Joshua Liebman