Re: NVDA freezes when editing a cell in Microsoft Excel

Luciano de Souza

The spreadsheet has many data writen. It's not very simple. Dispite that, there are only a few calculations. I imagine they are not enough to cause such dramatic problem.
I have closed Excel and reopened it. In a new file, I have writen my name and pressed "enter". In fact, NVDA replies very well. For this reason, perhaps you have reason about the volume of data.
Yes, there are only few calculations, but the spreadsheet uses validation very much.
There are no less than a thousand cells with list validations. Dispite having few calculations, perhaps validations, used in a large ammount, harmes the spreadsheet performance.
If NVDA doesn't lead well with validations, I have a big problem since this is the spreadsheet of my real world.

Em 02/06/2022 00:19, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

Hi Luciano,

From what you describe, it sounds like the issue is occuring when the spreadsheet tries to update itself.  I have a large spreadsheet which does that and basically it does freeze Excel while it is calculating, so you can't do anything - and that happens even if NVDA is not running.  I appreciate you said your spreadsheet was not so large, so I'm not sure, although it does sound basically the same.

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 12:13 AM Luciano de Souza <lucsouza1975@...> wrote:

Hello all,

When editing cells in Microsoft Excel, I’m facing a very serious slowness.

I type the content, I press “enter” and NVDA freezes.

Ten seconds later, the voice returns to normality.

It’s not a particular heavy worksheet, so the performance should be good.

Restarting NVDA in debug mode, I found a message saying that the gainFocus event failed.

The problems occurs in two machines:

·         The first one with Windows 10, Office 2019 e NVDA 2022-1;

·         The second one with Windows 10, Office 365 e NVDA 2022-1.

In both machine, I have tested also with NVDA 2020-3 with the same bad results.

I also ran the register fixer tool offered by NVDA.

The installed version, there’s no addons or customization in its settings.

Both machines have good performance when executing other tasks.

In Excel, I turned off the automatic calculation to attenuate the problem.

In fact, disabled the automatic calculation, the performance becomes adequate.

However, pressing F9 to calculate, the screen reader freezes again.

As mentioned, the file doesn’t have heavy formulas or a large amount of data.

I could not understand what is succeeding, so I ask you for a help.

I wish this message find everyone good and I thank for staying here.

Best regards,

Luciano de Souza

--
Quentin Christensen