Re: for the third time, filling out a PDF

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

While I may be unable to share the PDF in question, I had an
experience with a fillable PDF form that:
1 Edge and Firefox could read the contents of but not access the form
fields in (expected)
2 Adobe Acrobat DC rendered both the text and form fields of but did
not let me edit or input anything in (I had freshly installed Adobe
Acrobat DC and had selected the recommended accessibility settings
rather than any custom ones when it detected my use of assistive
technology)
3 Foxit Reader rendered both the text and the form fields of and
allowed me to populate edit fields and check check boxes in and save
the edited document (the process was far from fully accessible but
regardless)

I am willing to concede that with some settings changes somewhere,
Adobe might have been able to get the job done. But as it stands,
Foxit was the only tool that worked out-of-the-box and afforded me the
most access to editing the interactive PDF. All of that is to
encourage folks to consider opening the PDFs they previously found
half-acccessible in Foxit Reader instead.

Thanks.

On 5/23/22, Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...> wrote:
I've seen the progress indicator in question, but on smaller PDF files
like the one I linked to, I don't see that indicator, and it didn't
seem to change the way it was handled by NVDA.

On 5/23/22, Dave Grossoehme <dave@...> wrote:
Sorry I'm late on this information.  However, it would sound like
something is hanging up the response of NVDA and Adobe to tell the user
that the application is being loaded.  I have questioned this action
being a problem when using Windows 11, but is this a UAI Problem, or
something with NVDA or Adobe?

Dave

On 5/20/2022 6:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Well, when I open the form Bob gave the link for, I eventually end up
having it act just like any random web form would in terms of tabbing
through the form fields.  There are also a number of checkboxes to
indicate a given piece of equipment in the list has been returned and
these are on the second page of the form.

But note well, I said "eventually."  I can't make any sense of what's
going on, and am not getting any useful status either from Adobe or
from NVDA with regard to whether there is background processing going
on by the Accessibility Wizard to hand information to NVDA that it
would not otherwise have.  But whatever is happening it is NOT fast.
I can play around for at least 1 minute, possibly somewhat longer,
whether via point and click or using tab to move among the various
fields.  Then, after waiting for a while, suddenly tabbing between the
fields gives the field label, including the colon that's a part of
each label, when you land in the various fields.

Very strange.  No rational person would expect a lag like this between
opening a document and being able to use it with a screen reader sans
any sort of warning that they needed to wait for something to finish
before they start.

I am using Windows 10, Version 21H2, Build 19044.1076
Adobe Reader DC 2022.001.20117
NVDA 2021.3.5

*/You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them
by ignoring them.
/*     ~ Ursula LeGuin, /The Dispossessed/

--
Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah