Re: The Gmail website with NVDA

Gene

You shouldn't get off the list.  You should go no mail. If you unsubscribe not only do you have to resubscribe if you want to send messages to the list, but your first message must be approved, which may delay it reaching the list.  This is not something list owners can change.  It is imposed on lists by the person who runs groups.io.

If you go no mail, you can send the list a command to resume delivery again and, since you are still a member, you don't have to wait for your first message to be approved.

There is an address you can use to go to the simple HTML view.  It isn't possible, using the standard address, to go directly to simple HTML anymore.

The address, which you should use instead of the address you are using is:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

Gene

On 6/4/2022 3:30 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Hi all,
Well, I've been meaning to get off this list for a couple weeks now,
but new questions just keep popping up. This one has to do with the
GMail website and NVFDA. Since last September, whenever I log into my
GMail account, it loads standard view, despite me having had it set to
load basic HTML by default before then, and it changing on its own. I
was telling a friend about how I was considering moving to using Gmail
with Outlook, and she was telling me that she was able to switch back
to having basic HTML as her default view. This is the same friend who
I was mentioning last week with Zoom, so her primary screen reader is
JAWS. I think she said she uses Chrome as her default browser, and I
use Firefox. We were talking about this on Zoom just now, and she told
me that there was a button at the top of the page that says "basic
HTML." As my laptop is a touchscreen, I was able to swipe to the left
and find that button, but when I double tap on it, NVDA simply says
"activate," but does nothing, and I can't seem to get to it using the
normal keyboard commands. How do I access this?
Thanks,
Bob

.